Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Award winning Studio?

Flinch wins another award! Sort of.

Our client actually gets the award. They wrote it and paid for it, so that's fair - but we still get to brag, right?


It's the Communicator Awards' First-Place trophy for "Interactive Multimedia - Education (academic)". I have no idea who the "Communicator Awards" are, but they have a website, so they must be legit:

http://www.communicatorawards.com/

Oh wait - I have a website too.

We are pretty proud of the winning piece, actually - and especially for the fact that it looks like we got paid three times what we actually made for it!

Here's a peek at the evolution of the artwork - starting with the home / launch page:



I'm not a big fan of the whole background-as-navigation approach to interactivity. It seems that was a popular idea back in the 20th century (God knows we did our share of it) - and hey, it certainly takes jobs that would normally go to corporate graphics outfits and channels it to jokers like me, so I really don't complain about it often. That is not to say we can't employ fanciful, cartoony design styles into pages (see the Flinch Site) but it just seems like such a tired idea to try to force intuitive navigation into a "set".

UNLESS the content calls for it... which was exactly the case with this piece. The whole point was to show the items laying around your house, and describe how they all evolved from Edison's inventions.

This is the evolution of the interior / main navigation page:


To see how the final piece works, check out this link:

http://www.flinch.com/edison/

It was not developed for the web so expect a long front-end load time. Outside of that, I'm proud of the code we did for the piece - because I did it all myself!! I am by no means an expert coder - I'm pretty much using non-Actionscript throughout, all stuff that has been available since version 5 - but it still moves okay.
More on awards later....












No comments: