Friday, June 5, 2009

Another Flinch Monstrosity

.
.
.
Meet inspector McCloud. No, I mean... Meet Inspector McCloud! He's actually out there, walking the streets of Laredo. Probably scaring the crap out of little kids!


These pix were sent to me by my friends over at the City of Laredo... they work fast. I'm not even finished with the dang cartoon, and they already have a costumed supermascot ready to thrill his future fans with tales of storm water adventure.


I don't know about you, but I was always terrified of man-sized manifestations of cute cartoon characters. Strolling the idyllic lanes of Disney World, I always made sure to circumvent the giant Mickey and his unsettling incorrect proportions.

Truth be told, it is absolutely a pleasure to see your drawings turned into living towers of felt & pleather. Just the idea that some costume designer spent hours ogling my artwork is thrilling in itself... but when you see pictures of little kids hugging them, it just plain awesome, damn it, and I don't care if I'm obviously lame and easy to please.

It's not the first time one of our creations has made the jump from 2D to a strip mall near you. You may remember Otto, our Irvine Auto Center mascot.


Clearly, not every kid shares my fear of cartoon characters come to life and towering over them. Good for you, cast of Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants... good for you.


Robin Williams knows what I'm talking about...



To quote the Mork: (regarding a trip to Disneyland): "Mickey Mouse to a 3-year-old is a six-foot f***ing rat!"

(sorry for the censorship, it's a Family Blog).

T

No comments: